Sunday, December 12, 2010

Bring Back Beautiful

Flourishes has a monthly challenge called "Bring Back Beautiful" and this months challenge is to use stamping to decorate your home. One of the things they suggested was a mantle piece, and that gave me an idea :) I'm not too good at the 3D elements yet, but I love to make my own ornaments, so I thought I'd make an ornament garland that I could drape on my mantle but switch out or move the ornaments if desired. The only glitch I ran into was the type of string to use. I wanted to use a ribbon, but they wouldn't drape nice at all, I needed something with weight to it but didn't look too heavy. I found some twine that worked nice enough :)

This was the best pic of all the lighting I could get, sorry :)
I love that I can use it on my mantle or string it around my Christmas tree as a decorative ornament garland! Thank You Flourishes for the great idea!! :)


Here are the close ups of each one.
Ornament #1:
I used Spellbinders Labels #1 and stamped Flourishes "Christmas Music" for my background, in Memento "Rhubarb" on the base. I layered Spellbinders "In Spades" on top of that with a small pendant from Spellbinders "Fleur de Lis" set, in the middle. On top of the very middle I used a Spellbinders Scalloped stamped with HOTP "Medallions & Corners" in Memento "Rich Cocoa" ink. I added a "Large Scalloped Circle" with the center cut out from a "Circle" die from Spellbinders, to frame it all.


Ornament #2:
The bottom piece is the largest Spellbinders Scalloped Circle, stamped with Flourishes "Christmas Music", stamped in Memento "Rhubarb" ink. Over that is a Spellbinders "Contemporary Hearts" from their Shapeability line. I layered another Scalloped Circle stamped in with a medallion from HOTP "Medallions & Circles" stamp set, in Memento "Rich Cocoa" ink.


Ornament #3:
The bottom is a Spellbinders "Fleu de Lis" Pendant die, with a Scalloped Circle under it. On top of the Fleur de Lis, I stamped a flourished medallion from HOTP "Medallions & Corners" and painted it in with my Tombows. I layered a Spellbinders "Contemporary Hearts" over that, with the center cut open from a Circle die. in the center of the open circle, I added a small Scalloped Circle from Spellbinders, stamped with another medallion from HOTP.


Ornament #4:
The bottom is a Spellbinders Shapeabilities "Renaissance Hearts" die. On top of that is a stamped diecut of Flourishes "Christmas Music" cut out with a Spellbinders "Classic Lace" die, scored, folded and fanned like an accordion. I had to hot glue it on top, to adhere it, so it wouldn't fall off. (I tried to get a better pic, sideways so you could see it:
The top is a smaller Spellbinders "Large Scalloped Circles" stamped with some Holly from an Impression Obsession stamp. The top is a "Scalloped Circle" with a medallion from HOTP "Medallions & Circles" set.


Ornament #5:
The bottom is a Spellbinder Shapeabilities "In Spades", under a Shapeabilities "Renaissance Hearts" with a center cut out and a "Fleur de Lis" Pendant center for a lacy look in the middle.


These were a quick to assemble, and fun to make! I antiqued them all on "Antique Linen" and "Tea Dye" Distress inks, to give them the old world charm and look.
The best part about making these is that both of my girls can play with them and help me decorate and I don't have to worry about them dropping one and breaking it, like alot of other ornaments for a Christmas tree. I'm hoping by next year, I will have enough to cover a tree and take a picture :)

5 comments:

  1. AMANDA...AMANDA...AMANDA..these are spectacular.. Wow that was alot of work. They look terrific on your mantle.. You did a great job..

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What gorgeous ornaments! You rock 3-D girl...these are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! Love your ornaments...such fabulous detail girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are FANTASTIC! Oh my goodness... they look beautiful and your creativity just shot up another notch! Beautiful work Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really gorgeous! I would still be afraid for my kids to smush one accidentally; they're so beautiful. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You For Your Kind Comments And Please Have A Wonderful Day!!